The Galleon - Portsmouth's Student Newspaper


University Sport

Varsity 2016: University of Portsmouth Hockey

Oli Crump

Oli Crump Oli Crump


What a weekend it was for good, old Pompey. Just like last year, our athletes put up a great battle against Southampton on Sunday.

We cannot exactly say it went great – unless loosing counts as actually doing good, but we had fun, our teams did the best they could and it was overall a sunny (but cold) day.

Following the dreaded 7am coach journey, it was UPHC Men’s 2nd team who took to the pitch first against their opposite numbers. The game got underway with Portsmouth having some good build up play in midfield with Will Daughtrey and Jamie Nicholson bolstering the team. However, a quick counter attack from Southampton soon resulted in a goal for the hosts and with halftime approaching, the score remained at 1-0. Alex Mitchell came close to levelling the score, but a few persistent efforts from Southampton saw them score thrice this side of the half, with the match finishing at 4-0.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get any luckier with the second match of the day: Ladies 2nd. Started off conceding a short corner from which Southampton capitalised. Not to be outdone, the Ladies 2nd stepped up their game and equalised soon after conceding. Sadly, by the end of the first half, Southampton scored four more goals. Right after half time, Portsmouth scored their last goal of the match with the Southampton keeper getting injured in the process. The match concluded half hour later with a 7-2 score.

Varsity 2016 wasn’t exactly a great day for Hockey. Highlight of the day has been the Men’s 1st team match. The team took to the field and scored within two minutes from the start of the game, immediately giving Portsmouth a 1-0 advantage.

The game was clean and precise, with both teams very well drilled and composed on the ball. “I am very confident in my team”, said William Scott, Men’s 4th player. “I reckon they’re going to win 3-2 at least today, I’ve got faith in them”, added William just minutes before the game started.

The second half of the game saw Portsmouth scoring four more goals, brining the final score at 5-0.

The Pompey fans got really excited as the Ladies 1st team walked in the field to play the fourth hockey match of the day, last Sunday. The game overall was well played and injury free.


Antoine Du Baret

Antoine Du Baret Antoine Du Baret


The Portsmouth team scored their first goal only three minutes after the start of the match. Unfortunately, Southampton managed to score a goal just a minute after Pompey’s, finishing off the first half of the game with a solid 6-1. Ladies 1st stepped up their game by scoring a second goal during the second half of the match which was, again, followed by three more goals from the Southampton team. The game ended just two minutes after the last Southampton goal with a score of 9-2 and yet another victory for the Southampton team. 

The last hockey match of the day saw playing the Men’s 3rd team. It unfortunately started off with two goals scored by the Southampton team within the first thirty minutes of the game. It was quite an intense match, including two yellow cards – both to the Pompey team. Pete Turay, number 47, received the first yellow card during the first half of the game, where the second one was given to Elliot Ghent, number 45, seven minutes before the end of the game. Elliot Ghent also scored Pompey’s first and only goal just minutes before half time.

“They guys put an excellent shift”, said William Brown, Men’s 3rd player, after the game. “It’s a shame that the result didn’t come out in our favour, but we’ve got a lot to learn from and we’re going to put a lot of effort into our next game next Wednesday.”


Comments are closed.