The Galleon - Portsmouth's Student Newspaper

»
»

University Sport

UPFC Sleep Rough for Homeless Charities

In the shadow of the library 13 members of the University of Portsmouth bed down for the night.

The team braved the night to raise money for Victory Hants and The Roberts Centre.

The temperatures in the night dropped to as low as 2 degrees and the experience was used to raise awareness about the very real problems homeless people face every night.

According to the Office for National Statistics, there are 554 homeless people living in Portsmouth. The money raised by the team on the night, hoped to raise awareness of this all to real and obvious problem.

The rough sleepers included first team captain Harry Markatis, Tom Austin, Kieran Clarke, Tom Hitch, Dayo Kayode, Alex Snead, Tom Farmer, and Tom Knifton Smith, who decied to brave the elements wearing a pair of shorts.

The Roberts Centre provides a temporary accommodation service which works in partnership with Portsmouth City Housing Service to provide accommodation for homeless families.

This mainly includes vulnerable single people who are awaiting a decision on their eligibility for local authority housing.

The centre also has their ‘BOOST’ project, which works with young people in care to improve their independent living skills and help their life chances. The project also supports asylum seeking children.

Victory Hants in Fratton provides leisure activities for people aged 16 and over who have a previous history of homelessness, mental health issues, or long term unemployment.

The group aims to break down barriers within the Portsmouth community by offering its member the chance to address health and well-being issues.

Tom Farmer said: “It will give publicity to the charity and you see it first hand all the time, the amount of homeless people in Portsmouth, its a good thing, it shows we’re involved in the community outside the university.”

“We’re donating all the stuff we’ve got like sleeping bags and roll mats to them afterwards.”

UPFC set themselves the target of crowdfunding £500, but as of the 6th December, the page has managed to raise in excess of £820.

70% of the money raised will go to the two charities respectively with the other 30% going to the club.

You can still donate at: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/UPFC

Comments are closed.