The Galleon - Portsmouth's Student Newspaper


University Sport

Portsmouth Take Cup Form Into League

BUCS South Eastern 3A
University of Portsmouth 2nd 3 - 1 Royal Holloway 1st

Portsmouth men’s second team won a crucial game against Royal Holloway 3-1 to keep themselves off the bottom of the league.

In their first league win of the season, the team took a boost from their previous cup victory against Chichester a month before and displayed an impressive exhibition to comfortably seal the points.

The win is the second team’s first league victory since 3rd February 2016, where they beat Brunel University  3-1 away from home.

Portsmouth started the game by far the brighter side, with Matt Addison making a particular difference in terms of pace in midfield.

The first notable chance of the game fell to Addison whose auspicious volley from the edge of the area struck the post.

Shortly afterwards Addison had yet another chance, but his shot flew through a litter of defenders before falling to the goalkeeper.

The first fifteen minutes were all Portsmouth, with Royal Holloway hardly having a chance on Tom Knifton’s goal.

Moments later, Portsmouth hit the post once more from an Ed James shot. The woodwork was quickly becoming the home sides only adversary.

A few chances later though and Portsmouth finally made the well deserved breakthrough.

Following an imperious dash down the wing by Sean Murphy, the loose ball was picked up by Andrea Carrera who shimmied round the opposition keeper and slotted the ball away for 1-0.

Now they had the ascendancy, it wasn’t long before the second team doubled their lead. Billy Mayger and Alex Wall linked up well to make it 2-0.

In the reverse fixture in October, Portsmouth similarly went 2-0 up before slumping to a 5-2 away loss but it looked very unlikely that they would face the same fate.

Nonetheless, the next quarter of an hour before half time would be crucial.

This time though, Royal Holloway seemingly were unable to deal with the huge pressure being piled on by the likes of Murphy, Carrera and Tom Austin.

Damon Tolley was also enjoying a successful first half, beating the Royal Holloway players for pace and agility.

Portsmouth dominated Royal Holloway in the first half and really should have made it a third, but Josh Gilbert’s header from inside the six-yard box flew over the bar.

Portsmouth took a two goal lead into the first half, whilst realising how many opportunities they had wasted and also trying to banish the memory of the sides last meeting.

Royal Holloway came out far more physical than they had played in the first half with their instructions seemingly to be just to kick lumps out of the home side.

Addison was the first victim of one of a few particularly dangerous challenges from the visitor’s defenders.

However, his perseverance and earlier efforts were eventually rewarded when he himself found the back of the net for 3-0.

A Royal Holloway defender was then booked for dissent towards Addison, who he had gesticulated a rude remark towards in the build up to his goal.

Portsmouth continued their dominance throughout the second half through the likes of Calvin Moses.

Unfortunately, Knifton couldn’t hold a clean sheet though, with Royal Holloway beating him moments from the end with what was their only chance of the game.

Portsmouth picked themselves up at the replay though and cruised to the 3-1 victory.

The result took Portsmouth off the bottom of the South Eastern 3A league table, putting them on three points in 5th and pushing St Mary’s to the foot of the table with one point.


University of Portsmouth


Royal Holloway


Comments are closed.